australian teachers of media
Metro magazine is published by Australian Teachers of Media (ATOM).
ATOM also publishes Screen Education magazine; study guides and education kits; The Moving Image series of monographs; and websites for feature films, documentaries and television programs. ATOM also runs The Education Shop and The Speakers’ Bureau.
ATOM is an independent, non-profit, professional association promoting the study of media. The membership of ATOM primarily includes teachers and lecturers from across subject disciplines at all levels of education. The membership also includes media industry personnel, a range of media and education organizations and, increasingly, the general public interested in the media.
ATOM runs professional development, provides resources and organizes screenings of features films and documentaries for teachers. ATOM holds a national conference every two years, and recognises excellence in over thirty categories of film, television, animation and multimedia at the ATOM Awards annually.
ATOM has established international links with similar groups in New Zealand, Canada, the United States, England, Scotland, Wales and the Philippines.
ATOM is run by a committee of management. The current members are:
- Chairperson Roger Dunscombe
- Assistant Chairperson Melinda Roberts
- Education Executive Officer Robert Young
- Publications Executive Officer Andrew Renaut
- Publications & Awards Manager Peter Tapp
- Committee Members Lara Alexander, Peter Anstee, Hugh Mason-Jones, Kevin Tibaldi, Lisa Worthy
- Education Officer Kate McCarthy Ficai
Visit http://www.atomvic.org for more information.